Buy Kenya Tea Directly From Exporters & Suppliers - Best of 2021 Market PricesGet Instant Quote
Selina Wamucii provides high quality Kenya tea to the local and export market. We source the raw fresh Kenya tea from family growers in Kenya.
Kenya is the number one producer of tea in Africa. It ranks as the fourth biggest producing nation after Ceylon (Sri Lanka), India and China. There are two kinds of farming areas: large-scale and smallholder. The latter constitutes over 600,000 family growers with over 1 acre of land and it is the mainstay of the sector. The Kenya Tea Development Authority (KTDA) oversees about 60 to 62 percent of the sector, nearly all constituting smallholder farmers.
We source tea from diverse parts of the country, mainly Central and Rift Valley regions. Our Central suppliers farm their crop in Murang’a, Nyeri, Thika, Kirinyaga and Kiambu. Our Eastern province family growers come from the windward side of Mount Kenya especially Meru and Embu. In Western Kenya, we source from Nyamira and Nyambene. Some of our biggest sources include Kericho and Bomet in the heart of the Rift Valley. We only source from family sources who prune their fields each 36 months as this rejuvenates new growth with added flavor.
Key metrics of these tea growing areas include:
• The tea-growing zones cover a total area of 150,000ha.
• The zones’ output is 0.4 million metric tons of packed tea annually.
• The high elevation of between 1500 and 2700 meters offers high-quality tea that compares better than world varieties.
• A year-round producer, Kenya outstrips global exports from Asia that have only one season.
Tea in Kenya grows under temperatures of below 21° Celsius in the first eight months of planting. The temperature can fluctuate above this level during the hotter months around January and September. Other growing factors include:
• Rainfall: around 1500 millimeters of a year-round saturation is best for the growth of tea in the Kenya highlands.
• Soil: The horticultural produce needs loamy soil with slight acidity of 4.5 to 5.5 PH level. It should also have good drainage to support the conservation of water and nutrients.
• Fertilizer: tea requires at least 2 percent of soil enrichment matter that can come from farm compost.
• Shade: though in natural growth the tree can attain 16 meters, tea shrubs seldom grow above 1.5 meters due to training/pruning when young. This makes them require shade. For instance, in Central and Western Kenya, farmers grow the plantations on the fringes of forests for cooling and at other times retain tall trees in the plots.
• Tea in Kenya is picked yearly in an extensive period of up to eight months.
The first harvest of a typical Kenya tea plantation takes place at the end of the first 48 months after planting. The bulk of the harvesting process in the rural areas of places like Nyeri and Kirinyaga is done by women carrying sisal baskets. In Kericho, mechanized farming has outstripped family growers but there are still many small-scale growers who practice the trade.
We harvest Kenya tea through specially trained farmhands who have made tea-picking an art. They examine each bright green leaf, at the apex of each plant, which they pick in threes. This leaves the other parts to renew tea buds in the next harvest, usually 10 days later.
The main processing of Kenya tea is through the cut, twist and curl (CTC) method. This is where the trio of bud, two leaves and stalk supporting them undergoes grinding. The particles then receive fanning and dusting to excrete any impurities. The end product is the best quality, plentiful and aromatic tea that is normally for export. If you would like processed tea leaves rather than loose, then you are assured of it being from a CTC mill.
As an affirmation of quality, our tea processing takes place in local factories with the highest quality standards. These include ISO 22000 and Fair Trade GMP. These certifications have made local tea unrivaled and acceptable around the globe.
We export Kenya tea through the port of Mombasa. The Kilindini harbor currently services 95% of tea exports. Part of this (around 80%) of both local reseller and export goes to the Mombasa Tea Auction. Buyers can negotiate prices and make use of the best loose or packaged blends from West Rift or Central Kenya. Our main destinations include regional countries like Sudan and Egypt as well as the main world markets in the EU, the UK and the US.
Other facts about Kenya tea that you should know include:
• The bright green leaves are rich sources of antioxidants that fight free radicals in the body.
• Tea comes with a lesser dose of caffeine than coffee, which makes it a mild drink.
• Users may also help generate energy and keep spirited and alert.
• Tea also has flavonoids which are extra-nutrients that can prevent cancer.
• Green tea has been fronted as capable to reduce the effects of heart ailments, high cholesterol and diabetes.
Our packing process of Kenya tea is per customer specifications. Generally, we have two forms of produce, including sifted that we pack in tea bags of various sizes. For loose leaves, we pack in wooden, plywood or fabric tea chests. We also have sacks that consist of aluminum linings that keep the fresh leaves as fresh as those in the chests. If you prefer, we offer sifted tea in sachets that come in custom sizes of as little as 5×8 inches sizes to as large as 10 kilos.
We store Kenya tea leaves under temperatures of 14° Celsius. We keep them under 60 percent relative humidity. This ensures that the loose and packed produce arrives at your destination in the same condition of harvesting.
Therefore, if you would like to get the shipment of the best beverage from Africa, consider Kenya tea from Selina Wamucii. Our family growers come from the heart of Global Good Agricultural Practices (GAP) zones under the supervision of KTDA. We manage the whole quality process right from growing to final processing at your specific quantity. Delivery takes place on the same day of either processing or packing so as to reach your destination fresh. Our prices are quite fair and accessible. Make an order today!
Get Instant Quote