Buy Kenya Almonds Directly From Exporters & Suppliers - Best of 2020 Market PricesGet Instant Quote
Selina Wamucii provides high quality Kenya almonds to the local and export market. We source our Kenya almonds from family growers in Kenya.
Kenya almond (Rosaceae) is a nut that is popular for its energy and other nutrition across Asia, Africa, southern Europe and North America. It develops into a tall tree of ten to fifteen meters high. Its trunk width can reach 30 centimetres all around. The main product of the tree is a leathery drupe that some may consider a fruit or just a hull that houses the edible nut. After shelling the hull, this leaves the even harder shell that surrounds the seed. It is then broken to access the nutrient-rich nut.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column_inner]
Each almond consists of 75 per cent fat. Around 57 per cent of the fat is healthy as it consists of 12 grams polyunsaturated and 31 grams monounsaturated. Eating raw nuts also promotes the electrolyte balance in the blood as the almond has 20 per cent of the daily value (dv) of potassium. The same applies to calcium for strong teeth enamel at 26 percent. Magnesium and iron round up the bone strengthening minerals at 67 and 20 percent of the dv respectively. Some of the diseases that the fruit may prevent include colon tumors, constipation, obesity, skin conditions and high cholesterol.
Growing almonds requires a Mediterranean climate. This is why Italy was for long the biggest exporter before Spain and the US took to the nuts. In Kenya, the nuts grow under the following conditions:
• Elevations of 800 to 3500 meters above sea level.
• A neutral climate of warm and dry hot spells with mildly cold seasons.
• Temperatures of at least 15° Celsius but no more than 32° Celsius.
• A loam soil with proper drainage is the best for almond cultivation. The pH level for the soil should be at least 7.0.
• There are two methods of growing Kenya almonds: grafting from peach which serves as a rootstock that sprouts into a nut tree, or direct sowing of the sweet-tasting seed varieties. Peach grafting has limitations of minimal life while seeds can have a long lifespan.
We source Kenya almonds from diverse parts of the country. One of these is Kitale to the west of the country. Family growers cultivate the trees using natural methods and sometimes under sprinkler irrigation.
We harvest Kenya almonds when they turn a yellowish hue. We also advise our family growers to start picking when the nuts begin to split, which is a sign of maturity. During a typical harvest, trained workers shake the branches to fell the fruits, which they then collect into baskets. During the best season, our farmers can harvest up to 2000 kilos of the nuts per hectare. We also keep in mind the following universal attributes when harvesting the fruits:
• We only select trees that have attained at least 60 months after planting as this indicates the very first time to make a harvest.
• To protect the tree’s future generation, we harvest no more than 50 fruits per tree on a yearly basis. This helps keep the plant producing for a maximum half a century.
• To ensure the harvests stay fresh, we keep them in an airy storage room for the brief duration before the export. One indicator of quality is the rattling of the fruits which means that the nuts inside are free of the shells.
We then process Kenya almonds, which involves the removal of the nuts from the hulls. Soon after picking, we convey the fruits to the shelling facility. The first step involves the hulling of the dirt-ridden husk using a huller. The machine removes field debris like particles and soil that sometimes may account for a quarter of the weight of the fruit. The next process is the crushing of the shell that protects the nut’s meat. With these two steps, the total weight of the nut’s meat reaches 20 to 23 per cent of the initial weight. This final product can either then undergo packing for export or be on transit to another machine for value addition.
Before packing Kenya almonds, some of the fruits feature in milk making. Almond milk is considered a very healthy alternative to cow milk as it fights free radicals, has vitamin E and Omega 3 fatty acids, among other nutrients. Squeezing an overnight soaked shelled almond after removing the skin surrounding the nut’s flesh and sieving the oozing liquid produces the highly regarded nut milk.
We pack Kenya almonds in PET containers that are airtight for keeping the fruits fresh and uncontaminated. We also use 12 to 15 kilos of plywood boxes for the export of the nuts to the European Union. There are also telescopic cartons of between 10 and 12 kilos that also offer equal preservation during transit to Europe. Some of the considerations we keep in our products when shipping include:
• Clear labels of the source and destination of the fresh produce.
• The amount of additives like sugar, which in most cases are non-existent.
• The level of drying, which we do naturally in the sun.
• We also indicate if the nuts are sold inside the shells or in shelled form.
Our main markets include Western European nations such as Germany, Holland, Britain and France. Though the countries import from neighbouring Italy and Spain, the European sources have seasonal and inconsistent supplies.
We store Kenya almonds in the shelled form at 4° Celsius. This temperature gives them a shelf life of over 12 months in a fresh condition. We also transport the nuts at the same controlled environment in special-purpose trucks to the airport in Nairobi. You can expect the product to reach your destination a day or two after air delivery depending on your part of the world.
Indeed, if you yearn for nuts that have grown under the tropical sun, consider Kenya almonds from Selina Wamucii today. We source our produce from Global Good Agriculture Practices (GAP)-certified family growers from rural Kenya. Because of the organic methods of growth, not only is the by-product of the nut such as milk quite nutritious but the table nuts have no trace of chemical residual. Our prices are among the most competitive while our quantity is per your tonnage specification. Begin by making an order today!
Get Instant Quote