Buy South Africa Hake Directly From Exporters & Suppliers - Best of 2024 Market Prices

Varieties Deep water hake, Shallow water hake
Size 0.5kg-4kgs
Packing Vacuum packed in 400-600 grams punnets, 5kgs-10kgs
Season January-August
Storage Stored in -15 degrees Celcius, Fresh fish is best consumed after purchase
Transport Conditions Fresh fish is transported in ice, processed fish is transported frozen spaces free from odour
Get Instant Quote

The South Africa hake fish is the most important species in the countries fishing industry. One of the notable advantages that South Africa has on hake production is by positioning the cape hake as a premium species.

Hake accounts to about 80% of the fish trawled, and about 67% of the total hake fish captured in South Africa is exported, with her leading markets being Europe, Australia and The United States of America. 

The South African coastline is equipped with a good number of harbour ports for the hake trawlers; these include Saldanha Bay, Cape Town, Mossel Bay and Port Elizabeth are used. Up close to Namibia, the are ports that harbour smaller fishing vessels that mainly focus on the rock lobsters and octopus. Fishing is the main economic activity for most of the coastal communities in the country with the industry impacting about 280000 people directly. 

The South Africa hake industry contributes to the south African economy significantly. In 2019, it was valued at 73.1 Million USD and was the 15th leading exporter of hake globally.

The hake fish is a large to medium fish that is mostly found in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans. It ranges from 0.5kg-4kg however, some species of hake can grow up to 3ft and weigh up to 27kgs. The hake fish can live up to 14 years.

There are ten species of hake; however, South Africa is home to two species of these. Which are; 

  • Shallow-water hake (Merluccius capensis) 
  • Deep-water hake (Merluccius paradoxus)

South Africa implemented TAC (Total Allowed Catch) regulation for hake, and this has seen South Africas hake numbers increase over time.

The cape hakes spawn throughout the year mid-water, however, the peak is in the early and late summer, this is in the months of October and March.

South Africa’s fishing grounds lie in the Benguela current system, which is among the four Eastern boundary systems. South Africas location has provided an ideal environment for the hake fish breeding. The Benguela current brings nutrients rich waters which in turn stimulate the growth of microscopic organisms that support South Africa’s abundant fish population.

Hake fishing in South Africa is entirely closed for two months, September and October, to allow recovery from the whole year fishing. However, this time frame can be extended or cut short depending on the numbers of hake.

Trawling is used when it comes to hake fishing in South Africa, where nets are dragged along the ocean bed in depths ranging anywhere from 80 metres to 600 metres. Most of the fishing vessels in South Africa are equipped with processing equipment, and 90% of the hake are processed on the ship. The remaining 10% is taken to the Western Cape province for further value addition and processing.

Hake is sold as frozen fresh fish where the guts are removed then it is ice preserved for airlifting or frozen fillets. They are also packed in 250g-500g and sold directly through retail outlets to end consumers. They are also processed to frozen catering packs that weigh 5-10kgs, they are either fish fillets, sausages, loins, minced fish, headed and gutted fish.

The hake fish is quite popular in the EU for culinary purposes, with South Africa being among the leading fish exporter globally, and still able to control fishing activities, makes it a prominent option to purchase hake.

Sign up to our platform to get connected with buyers and suppliers of South Africa hake.




Get Instant Quote

Are you a producer of South Africa Hake or other products?

Sign up today for FREE to buy or sell South Africa Hake.

Sign Up To Find Market