Naturally, the human body requires 102 minerals to function correctly. It’s been discovered that out of the 102 minerals, sea moss, also called Irish moss, can provide 92, making it a significant supplement to the everyday diet.
Searching for agrifood products? Discover Suppliers and Request Free Samples!Explore Agrifood Suppliers & Get Free Samples Now!
Celebrities like Kim Kardashian have also endorsed organic sea moss as her smoothie complement due to its health benefits. As a result, it has continued to gain popularity, with many people shifting their attention to healthy dietary patterns.
But what are these minerals that make sea moss such a prominent supplement? And what more is there to gain from organic sea moss besides acting as a potential healthy dietary supplement?
This article digs into the history of sea moss, its health benefits, and the best way to use it (gel, capsule or powder). You will also learn where to find it and the easiest way to access it.
What is organic sea moss? [history and discovery]
Organic sea moss is a type of red seaweed called Chondrus Crispus, used for centuries in herbal medicine and nutrition. It is a species of red algae found along the Atlantic coasts of North America, Europe, and parts of Asia.
Red sea moss is the source of a gelatinous carbohydrate extract called carrageenan, commonly used for its stabilizing properties in the cosmetics and baking industries.
Harvesting of Carrageenan has been done for an estimated 14,000 years. Evidence suggests that it was used medicinally in China in 600 BC. It was also consumed as food in the British Isles around 400 BC.
After harvesting and sun-drying, seaweed was used as an additive to tonics, flans and beer in Ireland. It was also used as a source of medicinal benefits such as treating colds and flu.
For the longest time, organic sea moss has been applied as a key ingredient in Irish cuisine, and in the preparation of cream desserts such as Blancmange.
Recently, say in the mid-20th century, organic sea moss has been used in food products in the United States, Europe, China, Japan and Brazil in sea moss gel, powder, and capsules.
Researchers in the biomedical and pharmaceutical fields are also showing a vested interest in studying the health benefits of organic sea moss as a part of selected edible plants due to its iconic nutritional content.
Health benefits of organic sea moss
Before diving into the potential health benefits, let’s have a sneak peek into the nutritional value of organic sea moss as revealed by The US Department of Agriculture:
Nutrients per serving
Each 10g (two tablespoons) of organic Irish moss (raw) contains approximately:
- Calories: 5
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 7mg
- Fiber: 0 gm
- 0 g fat
- Sodium: 7 mg
- Sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 0 g
Sea moss nutrition
- Phosphorus: 15.7 mg
- Calcium: 7.2 mg
- Magnesium: 14.4 mg
- Potassium: 6.3 mg
Sea moss vitamins
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin K
With 90% of the body’s essential minerals, organic sea moss contains low calories, and its compounds have been associated with numerous health benefits.
A study on the health benefits of seaweed’s bioactive compounds revealed diverse benefits and applications in four industries:
- Extracts of vitamins, sugars, minerals and amino acids from red sea moss have been used as a thickening agent to improve cosmetic products’ consistency, volume and viscosity.
- Red algae’s stimulation of collagen production is known to potentially reduce fine lines and wrinkles for smoother skin and reduce skin aging.
- Carrageenan, an extract of red seaweed, has been used in manufacturing soaps, creams, lotions and hair tonics.
Red sea moss has been used to develop innovative drugs to replace synthetic compounds with natural compounds. Here are some applications of its health benefits in the pharmaceutical industry:
- Agar, an extract of red algae, is applied in manufacturing anti-diabetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-coagulant, and antioxidant products.
- Sea moss’s extracts have also been used to produce carbohydrate-digesting enzymes, anti-glycation and glucose absorption end products.
- Traditionally, organic sea moss was used in the treatment of catarrh, nephritic diseases and goiter, especially in Asian countries, on account of its iodine content.
- Carrageenan has been used as a medicinal drug against colds, gastric ulcers and dysentery. Carrageenan’s inhibition of antitumor immune activity is also projected to gain application in new antitumor therapies.
- Other seaweed extracts (phaeophyceae) have been used to lower fever and are recommended to women after childbirth due to their anti-inflammatory properties.
Nutraceutical foods provide nutritional value while preventing the risk of health problems. Here are some of the nutraceutical health benefits:
- Red algae have been found to possess a higher calcium concentration than milk, which is responsible for healthy bones and teeth and the regulation of nerve functions.
- Red algae have also been used as a precursor to Vitamin A while facilitating iron absorption due to its high Vitamin C content.
Best organic sea moss
Sea moss can be consumed raw. However, it comes in three different forms, each with a unique application, as discussed:
- Sea Moss Gel: a form of sea moss that has been processed into a gel-like substance. It’s made by blending raw, wildcrafted seaweed with salt to create a thick, jelly-like texture.
This type of sea moss is best for making smoothies or drinks, adding it to soups, sauces, and baking recipes. It is also used as a facial mask or body scrub for skincare routines.
- Sea Moss Powder: essentially dried seaweed ground into powder form. This sea moss is easier to use in liquids such as smoothies or soup stocks. You can also sprinkle it over salads and similar dishes.
- Sea Moss Capsules: small capsules filled with powdered sea moss extract as a part of the pharmaceutical applications.
Before deciding on your daily dose, please check out the pros and cons of each form of sea moss and the best recommendation for your needs.
Where to buy organic sea moss
If you live in the US and want organic sea moss, several reputable retailers offer it online.
How can I get organic sea moss?
Online retailers offering organic sea moss (discussed previously) also offer delivery services. Hence, you can place your order, and the product will be shipped to your location.
Alternatively, you can shop directly from the store. To find the nearest store location, you can search “organic sea moss store near me”, and you will be able to determine the most convenient store. You can also view what is in and out of stock before visiting the store.
Did you find this article helpful? Let us know what else you would like to know concerning organic sea moss. Please use our contacts page.