The black cumin seed, also known by its scientific name as nigella sativa or kalonji, belongs to the buttercup family of flowering plants. The good thing about black cumin seeds is that you can use them to treat digestive tract conditions such as colic, gas, diarrhea, hemorrhoids, constipation, and dysentery. Black seeds can also treat respiratory conditions such as allergies, flu, congestion, cough, asthma, swine flu, and emphysema. Another unique factor of black cumin seeds is that they are versatile and have plenty of health benefits. These seeds have been used for over three thousand years to prevent various diseases.
Black cumin seed has been noted in ancient texts and historical documents for providing therapeutic attributes and supporting the body to heal naturally. Some archeological studies have also reported that black cumin seeds were found in several sites from ancient Egypt. It is also believed that black cumin seed was the secret behind the complexion of Queen Nefertiti. The queen is believed to have been a devoted black cumin seed user. Black cumin seeds are pretty unique and are widely used by people around the world. The seeds have grown in popularity over the years due to their health benefits and their convenience.
You can take black cumin seed as seed or oil. But most people wonder which option is the best. Human clinical trials have shown dosages of between 1 and 3 grams of black cumin seed powder can be used orally for up to 12 months. However, when it comes to using the powder, it is recommended to use it for 2 months before checking on changes to blood glucose and cholesterol management. Black cumin oil can be used orally at a dosage of up to 5 ml or 40 mg for 8 weeks.
What Products Can Be Made from Black Cumin Seeds?
Black cumin seeds can make various products such as black cumin powder, black cumin seed oil, and black cumin seed oil capsules.
1. Black Cumin Seed Powder
Black cumin seeds can also be used to make powder, which many people use out there. What happens is that black seed is usually toasted and then ground or even used whole. You can use the powder to add flavor to curry or bread dishes. Some people also eat the raw seeds or mix them with water or honey. You can also add the seeds to yogurt, oatmeal, or smoothies. Black seed is a popular home remedy, and it’s believed to boost the immune system. It’s also believed that black cumin seeds have anti-inflammatory, antiparasitic, antibacterial, and antifungal properties.
Most people use black seed to treat digestive ailments, although research has also shown that it has agents fighting cancer. If you want to use black seeds, you need to heat and grind them before eating. You can also combine black seeds with yogurt, water, food, or honey.
How to Make Black Seed Powder
Since black cumin seeds can be used to make powder, here are some of the steps you need to take for this process.
- Prepare the black seed – First, you need to heat the seeds before ingestion. It’s not recommended to eat whole, raw seeds. The seeds need to be heated to protect your stomach and make them taste better. You need to place the seeds in a pan and then turn on the stove to the lowest setting. Stir the seeds continually every few minutes. To know whether the seeds are done, you can check if they have a bland taste. However, you have to ensure that you heat them for about 5 minutes before checking if they are done. If you taste and feel that the seeds have a harsh taste, you need to continue heating them.
- Grind the seeds after heating – After you heat the seeds, you need to grind them in a spice or coffee grinder. The grinding needs to be appropriately done to make them small enough so that you can quickly ingest them. Therefore, the easiest way to consume them is by grinding them into a powder-like substance. You can also use a mortar and pestle to grind the black cumin seeds.
- Store the powder in an airtight container – After properly grinding the seeds, you need to find an airtight container where you can put it. Use a container that prevents moisture from getting inside. Other alternatives would be to keep them in a jar or pill capsules so that you can easily access the powder whenever you need it each day.
- Buy processed seeds or black seed oil – If you don’t want to go through the entire process of heating and grind the black cumin seeds to make powder, you can buy already heated seeds or black seed oil. You can purchase from local stores or even online from your favorite eCommerce stores. However, it’s essential to avoid products that suggest you take large amounts. This is because it is mainly recommended to take small quantities such as only one teaspoon one or two times a day.
2. Black Cumin Seed Oil
Black cumin seed oil is also derived from the black seed and is popularly known for reducing high blood pressure. This is after research was done and showed that taking black seed oil for approximately two months can help to lower blood pressure in people who have mildly elevated blood pressure. In addition, research has shown that black seed oil has antioxidant properties, which can help relieve inflammation in the body and skin.
Benefits of Black Seed Oil
What is black cumin seed oil good for? The black seed oil has been shown to treat some common health issues such as asthma and high blood pressure. The oil has also demonstrated a strong antifungal effect against Candida albicans – yeast that can lead to candidiasis. Black seed oil can also help to reduce high cholesterol in the body. This is because the oil has plenty of healthy fatty acids that can adequately help you maintain healthier cholesterol levels. Some of the examples of these fatty acids include oleic and linoleic acids. The oil levels tend to vary depending on where the black seeds are grown. You can also see results when you consume the crushed seeds.
Another way to use black cumin oil is to improve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. When you take oral black seed oil, it helps to reduce the symptoms of inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis. Other black cumin oil uses include using it to decrease asthma symptoms and also reduce stomach upset. The anti-inflammatory effects in black seed oil tend to extend to improve the symptoms of asthma. Since the oil also helps to reduce inflammation in the airways, it eventually helps with bronchitis symptoms. Another way on how to use black seed oil is to relieve stomach upset or cramps. This is because the oil is a good remedy for reducing gas, incidences of ulcers, and stomach bloating.
Black Cumin Seed Oil Skin Benefits
You can also use black cumin seed oil for skin treatment such as acne, psoriasis, and other skin conditions. The Journal of Dermatology & Dermatologic Surgery indicated that when you apply lotion that has 10% of black seed oil in it for two months can significantly help to reduce any incidences of acne. Also, the black seed oil is effective against psoriasis. The oil can also soften and improve your skin by moisturizing and hydrating it. Aside from the mentioned black cumin seed oil benefits, it can also heal wounds on your skin by applying to the wounded area.
The oil reduces inflammation and eliminates bacteria to aid in wound healing. However, it’s crucial to note that the oil doesn’t stimulate any other growth factors to assist the body in creating new and healthy skin. It is also essential to note that black seed oil shouldn’t replace any prescription treatment you’ve given by a doctor. But overall, you can rely on this oil to treat and enhance your skin.
How to Use Black Cumin Seed Oil for Hair Growth
There are two ways to use black seed oil to aid you in hair growth. The good news is that you can make these two DIY concoctions at home.
The First Option
Here are the ingredients you need:
- 1 tablespoon black seed oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Take equal parts of the coconut oil and black seed oil and mix them in a bowl. Before you shower, work the oil into your scalp in circular motions, but you have to concentrate on the thinning areas. Allow the concoction to sit for thirty minutes, and then wash your hair as you usually do. You will instantly have shinier, hydrated, and softer locks.
The Second Option
Here are the ingredients:
- 2 handfuls black cumin seeds
- 5 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- Take a pot and fill it with 5 cups of water.
- Add 2 handfuls of black cumin seeds.
- Boil the mixture for 10 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Remove the seeds from the mixture and then pour 1 cup of the infused water into the jar.
- Add 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil. Mix and pour it over your scalp while massaging to stimulate the blood flow.
- Allow it to sit between 30 minutes and 1 hour before you wash the hair.
- Repeat the process twice weekly to get optimal results.
An alternative would be to buy black seed oil for hair growth sold on the market on your local cosmetics shop or various eCommerce websites that sell beauty products.
3. Black Cumin Seed Oil Capsules
So, what can black cumin seed oil capsules be used for? These capsules are known to help reduce high blood pressure, although you have to take them for at least two months.
However, the black seed also comes with side effects, such as allergic rashes, stomach upset, constipation, and vomiting. There is also the chance of black seed increasing the risk of seizures in some people. But, these side effects are only experienced by some people and not everyone. So, although black seed oil capsules tend to have plenty of health benefits, you shouldn’t replace them with treatment outlined by your physician. Also, there isn’t sufficient evidence that states any recommended dosage. Therefore, this is why it’s essential to talk to your healthcare provider regarding the use of black seed oil.
Depending on your needs, using black seed may vary significantly. For instance, asthmatic people can take 1 mg of black seed oil capsules daily for about 4 months. Studies showed that this was safe and effective as a supplementary treatment. However, when you want to treat high blood sugar levels and weight loss, you can use 2 -3 gm of black seed oil capsules daily for 8 to 12 weeks.
The dosage tends to vary depending on the use, and this is why you first need to talk with a physician to get dosing recommendations that precisely align with what you need to achieve. In addition, black seed oil capsules are supplements primarily used in alternative medicine to treat various health conditions. Therefore, you need to exercise caution when it comes to using these capsules.
Black Cumin Benefits
There are many black cumin seed benefits. Some of them we’ve talked about earlier in this post and others we’ll highlight here in this section. We will also reiterate some of the benefits that we mentioned earlier in this section. So here are some notable benefits of black cumin seeds.
- They are full antioxidants – These are substances that neutralize harmful free radicals and prevent oxidative damage to the cells. Study also shows that antioxidants are powerfully effective on health and disease. Several compounds in nigella like carvacrol, 4-terpineol, thymoquinone, tanethole are responsible for its antioxidant properties.
- Lowers cholesterol – Study has shown that kalonji is very effective in lowering cholesterol in the body. Black cumin oil also has a more significant effect compared to seed powder.
- Fights cancer – Kalonji is rich in antioxidants, and this helps to neutralize any harmful radicals that generally contribute to the development of diseases such as cancer. For example, research shows that thymoquinone available kalonji induces cell death in blood cancer cells. Another study also showed that nigella sativa extract could significantly help to inactivate breast cancer cells in the body.
- Kills bacteria – Bacteria is responsible for causing dangerous infections such as pneumonia and ear infections. Various studies have shown that Nigella sativa has antibacterial properties and is quite effective at fighting multiple bacteria strains.
- Eliminates inflammation – Inflammation is a normal immune response, which helps to protect the body against infection and injury. Unfortunately, chronic inflammation contributes to various diseases such as diabetes, heart disease, and cancer. Luckily, studies have shown that kalonji has powerful anti-inflammatory effects on the human body. For example, research has shown that people with rheumatoid arthritis can be treated by kalonji if they take it daily for 8 weeks. This is because it helps to reduce oxidative stress and inflammation markers.
- It protects the liver – The liver is responsible for removing toxins, metabolizing drugs, and processing nutrients. It also produces proteins and other chemicals in the body crucial for your health. Several studies have shown that Nigella sativa can reduce the toxicity of these chemicals and protect against kidney and liver damage.
- It helps in blood circulation – High blood sugar can result in many negative symptoms such as unintentional weight loss, difficulty in concentration, increased thirst, and fatigue. However, if you leave that unchecked for long, the high blood sugar can result in many severe consequences. The good news is that kalonji can help keep the blood sugar steady, thereby preventing dangerous side effects.
- Easy to add to your regular diet – Another beneficial way on how to use black cumin seeds is to incorporate them into your diet. You can slightly toast it or grind it as a whole to add flavor to curry dishes and bread.
- Prevents stomach ulcers – We mentioned this benefit earlier on how black cumin seeds can help to prevent stomach ulcers in the human body. Ulcers are painful sores formed when the stomach acids eat away at the protective mucus layer lining the stomach. Luckily, research has shown that Nigella sativa can preserve the stomach lining, thereby preventing stomach ulcers.
Where to Buy Black Cumin
Buying black cumin is very easy nowadays since they have grown in popularity and widely in most places and countries. However, when you want to purchase these seeds, the powder, black cumin oil, or black cumin oil capsules, you need to ensure that you find a reliable seller and even consult a professional doctor in the case of the black cumin oil capsules.
Where Can You Buy Black Cumin Seed Oil?
If you want to buy black cumin seed oil, you can look for them at your nearest food store or premium organic store. These are the ideal places to find black cumin seeds with guaranteed quality. If there isn’t any such store nearby or within your neighborhood, the best option is to check online. Ecommerce stores such as Amazon and others are known to sell black cumin seed oil at an affordable cost.
Where to Buy Organic Black Cumin Seed Oil
Buying organic black cumin seed oil is similar to purchasing other types of kalonji, such as powder and capsules. First, look for a reliable seller within your region. This is always the first and reliable step before buying any product that may positively or negatively affect your body. Another alternative is to check any online sellers selling organic black cumin seed oil who can deliver to wherever you are. Some online sellers include Walmart, Amazon, and other online stores depending on where you’re buying from.
Buy Black Cumin Seed Powder
It’s good to buy black cumin seeds because the powder is also effective and essentially beneficial. For example, black cumin powder helps to treat intestinal worms and also relieve digestive problems. What’s more, black cumin powder is also used to add flavor to bread and curry dishes. Therefore, it’s worth buying if you’re looking to add something healthy to your eating or incorporate it into your diet. You can buy black cumin seed powder at your local stores or online from various trusted eCommerce websites such as Walmart and Amazon.
Buy Black Cumin Seed Oil Capsules
You can use black cumin seed oil capsules to treat high blood pressure, as it’s known to help reduce this issue. In addition, the black cumin tablets or capsules also help reduce high cholesterol, which is significantly beneficial to the human body. If you want to buy these capsules online from the comfort of your home, Amazon and Walmart are excellent places to start. However, you should consult a qualified physician first before embarking on taking the capsules because it varies how you should take them depending on your needs. This will help you avoid any severe complications that may arise from taking the capsules without professional advice and help.
Black cumin seeds have many benefits that we’ve highlighted in this post. You’ve also seen how they have been in existence for thousands of years and how reliable they are. Overall, black cumin seeds are safe and easy to use but with caution. Therefore, seek the advice of a professional physician, especially when you want to take the black cumin seed oil capsules to be safe.
The key takeaway is to understand both the benefits and side effects associated with the use black cumin seeds, powder, oil, and the capsules. With that kind of knowledge, you’ll be in a better position to make the right decisions regarding the use of these products to benefit you properly as it should.